Miles White Beneficial Society of Baltimore City
The Miles White Beneficial Society of Baltimore City was founded and incorporated in 1874 to administer a trust established under the will of Miles White, a member of the Eutaw Street Meeting, the predecessor of Baltimore Monthly Meeting, Homewood. Upon the consolidation of Baltimore Yearly Meeting in 1968, oversight of this trust passed to the Yearly Meeting. The Articles of Incorporation state: "The objects of this Corporation shall be to promote piety and Christianity (especially by the dissemination of books and tracts); to extend aid to the young in their religious, moral, and intellectual training and education; and to relieve the deserving poor."
The trust is administered by the trustees of the Society who "shall annually make a written statement of its operations, and of the disposition and condition of its finances for the preceding year, and submit the same to the Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends." There are eight to ten trustees, nominated by the Nominating Committee and appointed by the Yearly Meeting during its Annual Session to serve a three-year term which commences after the Miles White Beneficial Society's annual meeting in October. Appointees serve no more than two consecutive terms. Trustees meet monthly, as needed.
One of the goals of the Miles White Beneficial Society of Baltimore City is to share its mission and work with members of Baltimore Yearly Meeting. The Society has a video presentation that shares a brief history of the organization, the life and times of its founder Miles White, and a summary of recent philanthropic work of its board. Click here to view the video.