Bookkeeping Assistant - Baltimore Yearly Meeting
Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (BYM) is seeking an Administrative Assistant
BYM is seeking a part-time Bookkeeping Assistant. The Bookkeeping Assistant is responsible for helping to maintain BYM’s accounts and cash with accuracy and timeliness in support of the Comptroller. In addition, they are responsible for providing bookkeeping and administrative assistance as needed to the Camping Program Manager and Camp Property Manager. This is an hourly position requiring 22 hours per week on average.
The Bookkeeping Assistant must be able to work with minimal oversight and guidance. To perform this job successfully, they must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and with accuracy. Previous bookkeeping experience and training is preferred, as well as competency with Excel and Word software and experience using various databases.
For more details and a complete job description: Please visit the BYM web site at www.bym-rsf.org/what_we_do/committees/supervisory/bookkeepasst.html#bookkeep
Non-Discrimination: BYM is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, age, or national origin.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to: Bookkeeping Assistant Search at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BYM is a vibrant organization comprised of more than 50 worshipping communities and 6,500 members across the mid-Atlantic region. Since the first great gathering of Friends in Maryland in 1672, BYM has had a long, rich history of worship and social witness. This vibrancy is demonstrated today in an array of programs, the largest of which is a residential summer camping program serving approximately 550-600 campers each year, complemented by a year-round youth activities program. Friends of all ages are invited to attend our week-long residential Annual Session in August. Adult programs through the year include a Spiritual Formation Program and an annual Women’s Retreat. Other programs support local Meetings, helping to develop leadership and spiritual nurture. BYM staff, along with numerous volunteer committees and working groups, support a wide range of activities, including peace and social justice. BYM is dedicated to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the Yearly Meeting.
Reports To: Comptroller
FLSA Status: Part-time (0.63 FTE), Hourly, Non-exempt
Approved By: Supervisory Committee 02/02/19
Reported To: Interim Committee 03/23/19
SUMMARY: The Bookkeeping Assistant is responsible for helping to maintain BYM’s accounts and cash with accuracy and timeliness in support of the Comptroller. In addition, that person is responsible for providing bookkeeping and administrative assistance as needed to the Camping Program and Property Managers.
The estimated time needed per week will average 22 hours (0.63 FTE).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Record coded bills into the accounting software weekly. Some regular bills will be coded by the Assistant, some by the system. Other bills are coded by the Comptroller or program staff
- Produce checks for payment of bills weekly
- Prepare bills to be mailed once the checks are signed
- File paid bills with check stubs at least every other week
- Create A/P folders for paid bills annually
- Produce A/P batch reports for approval by the Comptroller and Treasurer
- Record ACH disbursements from operating account
- Code and record bank deposits into the accounting software. Some coding will be done by the Comptroller, at least monthly, possibly weekly.
- Record apportionment payments and loan payments into the accounts receivable module of the accounting software
- Record receipts from online payments systems into the accounting software, coded by either the Assistant or the Comptroller
- Create CR folders by month
- Produce CR batch reports for Comptroller’s approval
- Reconcile contributions data with Development Director
Camping Program and Property
- Administer camp property rentals, including follow up with renters to assure proper documents are filed and payments made in a timely fashion.
- Record disbursements from the Camp Property Manager, Camp Caretakers and Camping Program Manager accounts on a monthly basis.
- Record camper payments
- Assist in training camp bookkeepers
- Reconcile camp vendor receipts to vendor payments on credit card statements
- Transfer bookkeeping data from summer camps to accounting software
Other Bookkeeping and Administrative
- Create journal entries
- Set up and maintain permanent files
- Maintain business record archives
- Maintain student loan files
- Maintain Friendly loan files
QUALIFICATIONS: The Bookkeeping Assistant must be able to work with minimal oversight and guidance. To perform this job successfully, they must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Previous bookkeeping experience and training preferred.
- Competency with Excel and Word software
- Experience using various databases
- Good interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and ages
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task
- A background check conducted by BYM is required for employment
- Ability to learn Abila MIP Fund Accounting software as it is used in this position
- Ability to learn Abila Fundraising database and Camp Brain software as it is used in this position
SALARY AND BENEFITS: BYM endeavors to provide wages in line with those of other non-profit organizations in the Washington metropolitan area. The hourly wage for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
NON-DISCRIMINATION: BYM, as a spiritual community, welcomes all to participate in its programs and in employment. BYM is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring based on race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, age, or national origin.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: BYM has a relatively small staff and depends heavily upon volunteers and committee members to accomplish its work. All staff members are expected to work cooperatively with volunteers and committee members.
The BYM office building and grounds are smoke, drug, alcohol and weapon free.
This document describes the position currently available. It is not an employment contract. Baltimore Yearly Meeting reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.